Bronze. Three nude girls (naiads) reclining, one arm of each lifted and holding basin with voluted rim. Green marble base probably of later date.
About 1900, probably Durlacher, London [see note 1]; about 1900, probably sold by Durlacher to Clarence Mackay (b. 1874 - d. 1938), Harbor Hill; 1941, sold by the estate of Mackay through Jacques Seligmann and Co., Paris and New York, to the MFA for $7,000 [see note 2]. (Accession Date: June 5, 1941) NOTES:  Georg Swarzenski, "A Fountain Group from Pilon's Atelier," MFA Bulletin 42, no. 247 (February, 1944): 2, states that the fountain "was sold to Mr. Mackay by a London dealer about half a century ago." Correspondence in the file suggests that this dealer was Durlacher. Swarzenski wrote to Germain Seligmann (July 24, 1941) that he planned to be in touch with Kirk Askew, manager of Durlacher, about the piece and Hanns Swarzenski wrote to the dealer Raphael Stora (February 11, 1959) regarding the way the figures had been mounted by Durlacher.  The fountain was first offered to the MFA by Seligmann in 1939.
Sarah F. Gorham and Alice Goddard Fund