13th century, taken from China to Japan and deposited at the temple Jufukuji, Kamakura; transferred by the Hojo family to Soun-ji, Hakone; 1590, removed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi (b. 1536 - d. 1598) to Kyoto and presented to the temple Hoko-ji. By the 18th century, temple Daitoku-ji, Kyoto; 1895, sold by the temple Daitoku-ji to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 17, 1895) NOTE: This is one of ten Chinese paintings that were lent to the MFA in 1894 by the temple Daitoku-ji and sold in 1895 to raise funds for temple repairs. For more information on their provenance, see "Tales from the land of dragons: 1000 years of Chinese painting" (exh. cat. MFA, Boston, 1997), p. 160.