1870s, in the house of a sadhu, Besnagar, India [see note 1]. About 1915, acquired from a priest in Besnagar by G. N. Rao, Calcutta [see note 2]; sold by G. N. Rao, through Stella Kramrisch, to the MFA for $788 [see note 3]. (Accession Date: February 11, 1926) NOTES:  Alexander Cunningham, Archaeological Survey of India Reports, vol. 10 (1880), p. 41, recorded seeing "in the house of a Sadhu a small lion of the Gupta period and a large figure of the Ganges standing on her crocodile" during a survey of the 1870s. Both objects are now at the MFA (accession nos. 26.25-26.26).  According to G. N. Rao in 1925, he acquired MFA the two sculptures "about ten years ago" "from a priest in Besnagar whose name is unknown."  This was the price paid for two objects, MFA accession nos. 26.25 and 26.26.
Charles Amos Cummings Bequest Fund