From the central Shiva Temple, Candi Loro Jonggrang, Prambanan, Central Java, Indonesia; late 19th/early 20th century, probably removed from the temple. Early 20th century until 1987, in a private collection near Amsterdam [see note 1]. May 13, 1987, anonymous sale, Sotheby's, Amsterdam, lot 1386, to J. Polak, Amsterdam, for the MFA. (Accession Date: June 24, 1987) NOTES:  According to information provided by Sotheby's at the time of the sale, the sculpture had been in a Dutch collection for more than seventy years.
Museum purchase with funds donated by exchange from a Gift of John Goelet and Gift of Constance B. and Carroll L. Cartwright