This is a statue of a sphinx lying on a rectangular plinth. A hieroglyphic inscription has been erased from the plinth, while cartouches apper on the breast. The fore and hind quarters have been chiselled down and reinscribed with the names of Rameses III and Sehtnakht.
From Tell Nabasha, temple of Wadjet, pylon. 1886, excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; presented to the MFA at EEF fifth annual general meeting; sent over April 1, 1888. (Accession date: April 1, 1888)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription
Egyptian, Middle Kingdom, Dyn. 12, reign of Amenemhat III, 1844–1797 B.C.
Object Place for Label
Tell Nabasha, Egypt
Overall: 170 x 45.8 x 56 cm (66 15/16 x 18 1/16 x 22 1/16 in.) Mount (The sculpture sits on a steel pallet with a low 1/4"density pad ): 10.2 x 46.4 x 169.5 cm (4 x 18 1/4 x 66 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique