It is made of a gray stone with irregular horizontal bands of a darker color. Two small handles are on the sides. The base is rounded, and the rim is plain. There are four small cracks that extend from the mouth into the body of the jar. It is complete.
By 1909: purchased in Egypt by Joseph Lindon Smith; 1909: on loan to the MFA; 1911: purchased by the MFA through funds provided by Mary S. Ames. (Accession date: August 3, 1911.)
Gift of Miss Mary S. Ames