Winged genius (human-apkallu, antediluvian sage) facing left, holding a bucket and cone, fertilizing the "sacred tree." "Standard Inscription" of Ashurnasirpal II across center of slab.
From Nimrud (ancient Kalhu, biblical Calah), Northwest Palace. By 1850s: excavated by Sir Henry Layard, obtained from Layard or Sir Henry Rawlinson by Reverend W. F. Williams on behalf of Reverend Sylvester D. Storrs; 1860, presented by Storrs to the Andover-Newton Theological School; 1935: purchased by the MFA from the Andover-Newton Theological School for $10,000. References: rev. Saleh Merrill, "Assyrian and Babylonian Monuments in America," Bibliotheca Sacra 32, p. 325, cited by Ardelia B. Hall, "The Ancient Near East: A New Gallery," BMFA 34, p. 10.
Charles Amos Cummings Fund
Near Eastern, Mesopotamian, Assyrian, Neo-Assyrian Period, reign of Ashurnasirpal II, 883–859 B.C.