Red granite; cylindrical shaft, broken in two places. Three horizontal bands of incised figures and hieroglyphics. Nine leaves in the capital, the tips of several restored.
From Ihnasya el-Medina (Herakleopolis Magna), temple of Harsaphes, portico. 1890-1891: excavated by Edouard Naville for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; October 1891, presented to the MFA by the EEF. (Accession date: December 8, 1891)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription
Egyptian, Old Kingdom, reused in Dynasty 19, 2649–2139 B.C.
Object Place for Label
Herakleopolis Magna, Egypt
Height: 494 cm (194 1/2 in.) Height of shaft: 361 cm (142 1/8 in.) Height of binding: 27 cm (10 5/8 in.) Height of capital: 106 cm (41 3/4 in.) Diameter of shaft at base: 73.9 cm (29 1/16 in.) Diameter of shaft at binding: 63.4 cm (24 15/16 in.) Diameter of capital: 119.8 cm (47 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique