The pendant, cast in two pieces and perhaps filled with something, has concentric ridges and a boss in the center on either side. Crusty green patina.
According to the MFA Annual Report for 1902 the Buffum collection included a group of objects that "were all found at Palestrina many years ago, in the excavations conducted by Signor Castellani, Mr. Buffum being present at the time of their discovery"; by date unknown: William Arnold Buffum Collection (died 1901); 1901: inherited by Miss Charlotte Wissmann; gift of Miss Charlotte Wissmann to MFA, May 1, 1902
Gift of Miss C. Wissmann
Italic, Archaic Period,
Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Bronzes (MFA), no. 304; Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), p. 122 (additional published references).
Diameter: 14 cm (5 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique