Pale green faience hippo with a large round belly and closed mouth. The design of lotuses and marsh plants, painted in purple-brown manganese pigment, symbolize creation, rebirth and the swampy habitat of the hippo.
By 1870: brought from Egypt probably by Charles Hale, Consul General in Alexandria from 1864 to 1870; 1951: purchased by the MFA from Mrs. Fredson Bowers, Charlottesville, VA, daughter of Philip L. Hale, for $50. (Accession Date: January 1, 1951)
Martha A. Willcomb Fund