Head fragment of sculpted cow, somewhat stylized, in light blue glazed faience. Black painted circles for hide pattern. Hole bored to indicate eye. The cow was significant in particular to the goddess Hathor, to whom sections of the Dynasty 18 temple of Hatshepsut was dedicated at Deir el-Bahari.
From Thebes, Deir el-Bahari, Temple of Mentuhotep. 1904: excavated by the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF in the division of finds by the Egyptian government; voted to the MFA at EEF general meeting. (Accession date: January 1, 1905.)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription