This eye inlay was once part of a cartonnage (plaster-soaked linen) mummy mask. It is comprised of ivory in a copper setting. An inset for a circular pupil, now empty, once held an additional inlay of black stone or other material.
From Deir el-Bersha, tomb of Djehutynakht (tomb 10, shaft A) chamber, between coffin 4 and east wall. May 1915: Excavated by the Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition; assigned to the MFA in the division of finds by the government of Egypt. 1921: received by the MFA. (Accession Date: March 1, 1921)
Harvard University—Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
Egyptian, Middle Kingdom, late Dynasty 11 or early Dynasty, 2010–1961 B.C.