Faience amulet with bright blue-green glaze in the shape of the Eye of Horus (wedjat). The wedjat-eye was considered a potent symbol of protection and was one of the most frequently used forms for ancient Egyptian amulets of most time periods, in particular for amulets placed upon mummies.
From Tanis (San el-Hagar), cemetery of Tel Snailin. 1884: excavated by William Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the Egypt Exploration Fund in the division of finds by the government of Egypt; October 28, 1885: presented to the MFA at EEF general meeting. (Accession Date: March 1, 1885)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription