This eye inlay once belonged to the face of a coffin. The white is of travertine (Egyptian alabaster) with red pigment at the corners. The iris is of clear crystal with brown backing. The pupil is black. The stone inlay components are set in a wooden socket.
From Deir el-Bersha, Tomb 6, shaft B. 1915: excavated by the Harvard University-Museum of Fine Arts Expedition; assigned to the MFA in the division of finds by the government of Egypt; 1921: received by the MFA.
Harvard University—Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition