Part of the center of a kylix, seated sphinx, red, white, and blue on the wing, surrounded by a "Starbornament" alternately red and black. Bottom pierced by three holes.
From Naukratis. 1885: excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; October 28, 1885: voted to the MFA at EEF general meeting; sent over February 1886. (Accession date: 1886).
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription
Greek, Archaic Period, about 540 B.C.
- Near the Tleson Painter
Place of Manufacture
Athens, Attica, Greece
CVA Boston 2, pl. 109, 13; Fairbanks, Vases (MFA), no. 357.2.
Width: 5.4 cm (2 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ceramic, Black Figure