Around rim, narrow band of vertical lines, then a broad frieze consisting on each side of sphinxes seated vis-à-vis, drawn with incised lines; below, a checkerboard pattern and a band of rays. Extensicely restored.
From Naukratis. 1885-6: excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; December 22, 1887, presented to the MFA by the EEF. (Accession date: 1888).
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription