This djed pillar amulet is carved on both sides. It is made of translucent carnelian and is in perfect condition. The djed pillar symbolized the backbone of the funerary god Osiris and was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way