This amulet is made of lapis and is one of sixty beads and amulets from the wrappings of a single mummy. (Body A, Tomb 23). The amulet represents the djed-pillar. The pillar, which symbolized the spinal column of the funerary god Osiris, was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
From Tell Nabasha, Tomb 23, body A. 1886, excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; presented to the MFA at EEF fifth annual general meeting; sent over June 1, 1887. (Accession date: January 1, 1887)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription