The wastebowl is a raised round vessel with lobes emanating from bottom; it is soldered to a low round foot having a vertical edge of die-stamped ornament with oak-and-grape-leaf clusters. The bowl flares outward to a convex die-stamped band with the same ornament below an applied gadrooned lip.
Originally owned by Anna Payne Cutts (1779 – 1832), daughter of John and Mary (Coles) Payne and sister of First Lady Dolley Madison, and Richard Cutts, son of Col. Thomas and Elizabeth (Scammon), m. 1804. The set descended to their son Richard Dominicus Cutts (1817 – 1883), m. Martha Jefferson Hackley in 1845. In turn, the set was made a gift to their son Harry Madison Cutts, M.D. (1858 – 1918), of Brookline, Massachusetts, m. Marion Belcher in 1891. Their son George Cutts (1895 – 1976) inherited the service. His wife, Priscilla (Whipple) Cutts (1903 – 1994), of Wellesley, Massachusetts, gave the service to her sons, the donors.
Gift of Robert Whipple Cutts and Henry Madison Cutts