The raised vessel is pear shaped and narrows upward to a generous drawn and molded rim; a drawn, molded, and splayed foot ring is soldered to the base. The hollow, seamed scroll handles have long flat tongues at the shoulder, which end in an ogee shape; they have a rounded drop at the upper joint...
The raised vessel is pear shaped and narrows upward to a generous drawn and molded rim; a drawn, molded, and splayed foot ring is soldered to the base. The hollow, seamed scroll handles have long flat tongues at the shoulder, which end in an ogee shape; they have a rounded drop at the upper joint with the body and are directly soldered without an intervening disk at each lower section. The terminus is spade shaped; a crescent-shaped air hole appears below.
On vessel between lower handle joins is the script engraving "The Gift of Mr Samel Barrett to The New North / Church of Christ In Boston May 4th 1728." Scratch weight of "16-4" incised on bottom.
To the right of each handle is marked "I BURT" in italics, within a shaped rectangle.
Given to New North Church, (also known as Fifth Church) Boston, by deacon Samuel Barrett, who was elected deacon in 1723, and elevated to the position of ruling elder in 1736. An 1863 merger of New North Church with the Bulfinch-Street Church was followed about 1884 by the complete dissolution of the church. Sometime before the church was disbanded, a quantity of the silver was sold to King's Chapel, which had lost much of their communion plate during the Revolutionary War. Presumably at the same sale, other items, including the Burt vessel, were privately purchased. Edward C. Storrow (____-d. 1933?), the first known secular owner, may have acquired the cup in this manner. The cup was placed on loan to the Museum in 1911, with ownership transferred in 1929 to Mrs. Edward C. Storrow, and in 1941 to their daughter, Alice Storrow Rotch (1900-1971) of Milton, Massachusetts. By descent to her husband, Arthur Rotch (1899-1973), and to their children, the donors, Anne Rotch Magendantz, Edward C. Rotch, and A. Lawrence Rotch. Sources: Worthley, p. 72-74; Jones 1913, p. 59-67. All silver acquired by King's Chapel from New North were inscribed "Kings Chapel. Easter 1872," suggesting that their purchase took place before the disbanding of the church in the 1880s.
Gift of the family of Alice Storrow Rotch