Cast gold pendant of three conjoined saurians (lizards or crocodiles), with upraised arms and widely splayed legs. Concave belly areas originally held inlays (likely of stone). Each saurian has a suspension ring at the back of its neck.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay