The teapot has been raised with repousséd lobes that extend vertically from the foot. It stands on an applied, low, round foot having a die-stamped band of oak-and-grape-leaf clusters applied to the vertical edge of the foot. The side of the body flares to a convex die-stamped band of same...
The teapot has been raised with repousséd lobes that extend vertically from the foot. It stands on an applied, low, round foot having a die-stamped band of oak-and-grape-leaf clusters applied to the vertical edge of the foot. The side of the body flares to a convex die-stamped band of same ornament below a milled band of gadrooning at shoulder. The teapot narrows to a round neck edged with a gadrooned bezel. The high curved spout is rectangular in section, with a star-patterned boss soldered to a retracted upper lip. The round cover has smaller lobes on a raised dome and a flat five-part hinge. The finial is a replacement. The handle sockets are rectangular in section and hold an angled wooden handle that retains traces of original black paint.
Scratch weight of "26 5" on bottom of vessel above center point.
On bottom "C.A. BURNETT" in a rectangle, below an eagle's head device at center point. Ada Mark X
Set originally owned by Anna Payne Cutts (1779-1832), daughter of John and Mary (Coles) Payne, and sister of First Lady Dolly Madison, who married Richard Cutts, son of Col. Thomas and Elizabeth (Scammon) in 1804. The set descended to their son, Richard Dominicus Cutts (1817-1883), who married Martha Jefferson Hackley in 1845. In turn, the set was made a gift to their son, Harry Madison Cutts, M.D. (1858-1918) of Brookline, who maried Marion Belcher in 1891. Their son George Cutts (1895-1976) inherited the service. His wife, Priscilla (Whipple) Cutts of Wellesley (1903-1994) gave the service to her sons, the donors. Sources: Cecil Hampden Cutts Howard, Genealogy of the Cutts Family in America (Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell's Sons, Publishers, 1892), p. 86, 168; Lawrence Park, comp., Gilbert Stuart (New York: William Edward Rudge, 1926), 1:248-250, 499; III:121-2, plates 202-03, 515.
Gift of the Robert Whipple Cutts and Henry Madison Cutts