The raised teapot has an inverted pear-shaped body with center point on bottom; the body is soldered to a stepped splayed foot with an applied foot rim. The round inset lid is domed and has a pineapple finial and three-part hinge set flush to the shoulder. The S-scroll spout has applied foliate...
The raised teapot has an inverted pear-shaped body with center point on bottom; the body is soldered to a stepped splayed foot with an applied foot rim. The round inset lid is domed and has a pineapple finial and three-part hinge set flush to the shoulder. The S-scroll spout has applied foliate decoration on its receding upper tip; reeded decoration on the lower section spreads downward and is affixed over strainer holes. The upper socket is angled, and its simple foliate decoration terminates in a nodelike tendril. The circular lower socket extends at a slight angle, and both sockets are scored at the edge with a pair of pins securing the wooden replacement handle with scrolled grip. The teapot’s deeply chased decoration consists of broken scrolls with lacy edges on the sides and above the spout and handle. Below the scrolls, along the sides of the vessel, appear three prominent rosettes amid floral and punched surface decoration. Chasing encircles the shoulder and surrounds the upper socket, and four triangular forms extend from scrolls onto the lid; a six-leaved design is set at the center of the dome. Armorial engraving appears to left of handle, with the crest on opposite side. Some modern hammer marks are visible inside the lid, caused by the finial reattachment; also visible are small dents at the shoulder, to left of handle, and stress cracks inside the body, near the foot and upper socket.
"O=B to A=B" in shaded roman capitals engraved beneath crest on body to right of handle. Engraved on center of body to left of handle with Brown family arms, a chevron between three lion's gambs erect and erased within a bordure, on a chief an eagle displayed. To the right of handle is the Brown family crest, an eagle or girffen head on a torse.
"BENJAMIN BURT" in a shaped cartouche stamped on bottom of vessel above center point.
Funds provided by Providence merchant Obadiah Brown (1712 – 1762), as indicated by the inscription to his daughter Anna Brown (1744 – 1762), although correspondence indicates that her husband, Moses Brown (1738 – 1836), ordered the silver. By descent to his granddaughter Avis Harris (d. 1892). Subsequent history unknown until acquired in the twentieth century by Mark Bortman (1896 – 1967); by descent to his daughter Jane Bortman Larus, the donor.
Gift of Jane Bortman Larus in honor of Mrs. Llora Bortman