The teapot was hand-raised. It has a wide base that tapers to a small mouth. The handle and spout are seamed, and the insulators are ivory, as is the turned finial on the lid, which is held in place by a small silver knob.
“G. J. / H.” in a triangle; lion passant within a shaped cartouche; Chester hallmark of three sheaves of wheat within a shield; and scrolled “C” within a shaped square (the date mark for 1904), all struck on body, to right of handle. The lion passant and scrolled “C” hallmarks also struck inside lid, wing nut, and underside of handle.
Original owner unknown; subsequent history unknown until acquired by the donors, Dr. and Mrs. Joseph B. Alpers, about 1971.
Gift of Joseph B. and Edith Alpers