The globular vessel was raised and then turned upside down so that the original base could be cut out and remade as a lid. A flat three-part hinge and applied ring seated within the rim ensure that the lid is flush with the vessel exterior; a cast and chased conical pineapple finial is pinned at...
The globular vessel was raised and then turned upside down so that the original base could be cut out and remade as a lid. A flat three-part hinge and applied ring seated within the rim ensure that the lid is flush with the vessel exterior; a cast and chased conical pineapple finial is pinned at the center of the lid, near a small air vent. The original open rim of the raised form has been closed with a base that has been let in and soldered in place. The replaced silver and ivory handle is set into an existing upper socket having a scored edge and stylized foliate decoration. The reverse-curved spout is affixed over strainer holes; attenuated baluster decoration appears below spout; twelve panels with scalloped edges form the lower portion of the spout, and the curved upper portion terminates in foliate decoration on retracted upper lip. A broad, splayed cast foot with applied foot ring is soldered to the body. A broad band of engraving at the shoulder consists of large shells at sides and mask facing spout, interspersed with diaper fields, broken scrolls, and foliate decoration. A narrow border around the edge of the lid has scallop decoration, with a sixteen-point flower at center.
Scratch weight of "oz /18 : 3/4", and in another hand "oz w / 18 - 12" on bottom.
"P [pellet] REVERE" in a rectangle marked on bottom of teapot above center point.
it is likely that the first owner was Elizabeth Cutt (or Cutts) (1709 – 1805), probably after her first marriage in 1727 to the Rev. Joseph Whipple (1701 – 1757). Her second marriage of 1758 was to the Rev. John Lowell (1704 – 1767). Descended to Judge John Lowell (1743 – 1802), Reverend Lowell’s son by his first wife, Sarah Champney (1704 – 1756). Judge Lowell m. his third wife, Rebecca (Russell) Tyng (1746 – 1816), in 1778, and the bowl descended to their son the Rev. Charles Lowell (1782 – 1861), pastor of West Congregational Church in Boston, m. Harriett Brackett Spence (1783 – 1850) in 1806.3 By descent to their daughter Mary Traill Spence Lowell (1810 – 1898) and Samuel Raymond Putnam (1797 – 1861), m. 1832.4 The vessel probably descended to their daughter Georgina Lowell Putnam (b. 1835), d. unm., and thence to her cousin Charles Lowell (1855 – 1905), who in 1885 m. Beatrice Kate Hardcastle (about 1852 – 1932).5 By descent to their daughter Mary Beatrice Lowell (b. 1888) and Frederick Southgate Bigelow (1871 – 1954), m. 1915,6 and thence to her brother Alfred Putman Lowell (1890 – 1954) and Catherine Hay Bowles (1890 – 1969), m. 1915,7 by descent to the donor.
Gift of Frances Lowell Hunsaker, Beatrice Hardcastle Magruder, and Christina Lowell Brazelton in memory of their father Alfred Putnam Lowell