The teapot has a raised, inverted pear-shape body, with a center point on the bottom. The body is soldered to a stepped, splayed, cast foot with an applied foot rim. The round inset lid has a pineapple finial and a three-part hinge set flush to the shoulder. The S-scroll spout has applied...
The teapot has a raised, inverted pear-shape body, with a center point on the bottom. The body is soldered to a stepped, splayed, cast foot with an applied foot rim. The round inset lid has a pineapple finial and a three-part hinge set flush to the shoulder. The S-scroll spout has applied foliate decoration on its receding upper tip; reeded decoration on its lower section spreads downward and is affixed over strainer holes. The upper socket is angled, and its simple foliate decoration ends in nodelike tendrils. The lower socket is circular and extends from the body at a slight angle. Both sockets are chased with a single line at edge of socket; pins secure the replaced wooden handle with scrolled thumbgrip. Deeply punched and chased decoration around shoulder and handle consists of rosettes set amid leafy, scrolled, and raffled surface decoration. Four leafy triangular forms extend from the shoulder onto the lid; a six-leaved engraved decoration radiates from the center of the domed lid.
Beneath crest on body to right of handle is engraved "O=B to S=B" in shaded roman letters. Engraved with Bown family arms, an eagle volant in a bordure, the whole within an assymetrical cartouch and surrounded by foliate decoration, in center of side to left of handle. To the right of handle is the crest of a double-headed eagle displayed above a torse.
"BENJAMIN / BURT" within a shaped cartouche stamped on base above center point.
Purchased with funds provided by Obadiah Brown (d. 1762) for his daughter Sarah (1742-1800), on the occasion of her marriage in 1762 to Jabez Bowen (1739-1815). Subsequent history unknown until the twentieth century, when purchased by silver collector Mark Bortman (1896-1967), and made a gift by his daughter, Jane Bortman Larus in 1983.
Gift of Jane Bortman Larus in memory of Mark Bortman