This raised copper tea caddy has a ceramic glazelike finish and is ornamented in a highly naturalistic manner, with applied silver leaves, flowers, peppers, and a grasshopper. On the body, applied granules of copper and silver simulate the earth; a mouse appears on the separate lid.
"C.J. [or S] B / from F.W.J [or S]" in script engraved on bottom. "21" stamped on both rim and inside lid.
On base: "Gorham CO / 160 / N" below an anchor hallmark; Above the Gorham anchor is scratched "H / 13" On lid: stamped number "21" inside of the lid.
Early history unknown; by 1991 owned by W.M. Schwind Jr. Antiques, Yarmouth. Maine; 1991, purchased from W.M. Schwind Jr., Antiques by the MFA
Museum purchase with funds donated by Mr. and Mrs. Fred G. Peil, Irma M. Lampert, Henry B. and Klaudia S. Shepard Jr., Gage Bailey Jr., Dr. and Mrs. Francis de Marneffe, Charles S. Nichols, Frank and M. L. Coolidge, Jane E. Coolidge, Angela B. Fischer, Elisha W. Hall II, Ruth F. Hamlen, Faith Moore, Olivia and John Parker, Mr. and Mrs. Walter W. Patten, Jr., J. E. Robinson III, John and Patricia Rodgers, Irvin and Rebekah Taube, Anne D. Moffett, and Louise and Jonathan L. Fairbanks
- Gorham Manufacturing Company, active 1865–1961