This short-bodied cylindrical tankard has straight sides that taper inward toward the rim. No center point is visible, but clearly the vessel was raised. Finely stepped applied molding on the base is repeated in a smaller, more delicate version at the lip. The lid and hinge plate were removed at...
This short-bodied cylindrical tankard has straight sides that taper inward toward the rim. No center point is visible, but clearly the vessel was raised. Finely stepped applied molding on the base is repeated in a smaller, more delicate version at the lip. The lid and hinge plate were removed at an unknown date. The hollow seamed scroll handle has three ridges running vertically between a punched meander decoration near the hinge and a curled device below; a cast cherub perches on an upward-bent terminus. A cleanly cut crescent-shaped air vent is located beneath the terminal. The handle is soldered to the body at the top join with a long slender rattail. Below the terminus is a small rectangular repair, which partly remedied the metal fatigue on the inner walls.
On base below mark: P / S * H / 1709 / 1719. On base, above marks: "17 £ = 14 s / 26 oz - 8 wt. "
To left of the handle are two examples of the touchmark "GH" in roman capitals within a rectangle. Underneath the tankard are two strikes of "GH" in roman capitals within a crowned shield and a device below. Ada Mark E11977
According to the donor, the initials are those of the Rev. Samuel Phillips (1689 – 1771) of Andover, Massachusetts, m. Hannah White (1691 – 1775) of Haverhill in 1711/12. By descent to their daughter Lydia Phillips (1717 – 1749) and Dr. Parker Clark (b. 1718), m. 1742; Lydia was the sister of Samuel and John Phillips, founders of Phillips Academy, Andover. To their daughter Hannah Clark (1743 – 1832) and Dr. Edward Russell (1736 – 1785) of Andover, m. 1767; to their son Gen. Edward Russell (1782 – 1835) and Lucy Stevens (1787 – 1870), m. 1812; to their daughter Margaret Elizabeth Russell (1815 – 1860) and the Hon. Charles Northend Cogswell (1797 – 1843), m. 1839. To their son Dr. Edward Russell Cogswell (1841 – 1914) and Sarah Parks Proctor (d. 1907), m. 1864; to their son Dr. George Proctor Cogswell (1867 – about 1953) and Anna Willis Bumstead, of Cambridge, Massachusetts, m. 1895; to their son Elliot Proctor Cogswell (1905 – 1988) and the donor, Marion Park (1907 – 1995), of Weston, Massachusetts, m. 1930. The dates 1709 and 1719 engraved on the handle remain unexplained.
Gift of Mrs. Elliot P. Cogswell