The tapered cylindrical form has a drawn molded base and lip, scored twice below the lip. Its flat stepped lid has a broad rim, scored twice, and crenate decoration near handle and at the later, applied spout. A cast dolphin-and-grotesque thumbpiece descends to a five-part hinge with wigglework...
The tapered cylindrical form has a drawn molded base and lip, scored twice below the lip. Its flat stepped lid has a broad rim, scored twice, and crenate decoration near handle and at the later, applied spout. A cast dolphin-and-grotesque thumbpiece descends to a five-part hinge with wigglework straps on the seamed handle. A prominent rattail drop appears below the upper join of handle, with a flat shield terminus and a crescent-shaped air vent below. The broadly engraved cartouche of stylized foliage appears on the body, opposite the handle.
On body, opposite handle, is engraved "This belongs to / the Church in / Brattle-street / 1705" in script within a stylized foliate cartouche. On base in later script is engraved "This Flagon / was given by the Proprietors of / The Brattle Street Church, / Boston / to / The Reverend Samuel Kirkland Lothrop, D.D. / and to / All Saints Church Dorchester, Boston. / by his daughter / Mary Lothrop Peabody, / All Saints' Day, / 1901."
Marked "W C" within an ellipse to left of handle and on lid near thumbpiece.
The tankard was made by Cowell for the Brattle Street Church in 1705, although the source of funds for its purchase remains unknown. Along with approximately nineteen other pieces of church silver, the tankard was to be sold at an auction held by the Brattle Street Church in 1839. When no buyer materialized, the congregation voted to give the tankard to the church minister, Reverend Samuel Kirkland Lothrop (d. 1886). By descent to his daughter, Mary Lothrop Peabody (1837-1910), who on All Saints' Day, 1901, made it a gift to the Parish of All Saints, Ashmont (Dorchester). Placed on loan to the Museum from 1912 to 1921 and 1933 to 1998. Purchased from the church in April 1998. Sources: OSAC, p. 70-1; Avery, Clearwater, p. 42, cat. 25. See catalogue no. ___ for further information on silver owned by the Church at Brattle Street.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Pellegrino; the estate of Rosamond Sears, by exchange; the estate of Ada Belle Winthrop-King, by exchange and the Marion E. Davis Fund