The raised tankard has a slightly tapered straight-sided body with center point evident in base. A center point is also visible on the inside of the raised, gadrooned, flat-topped lid. The wide crenate lip displays one pair and one single scored line at its edge; a flange is underneath the lid....
The raised tankard has a slightly tapered straight-sided body with center point evident in base. A center point is also visible on the inside of the raised, gadrooned, flat-topped lid. The wide crenate lip displays one pair and one single scored line at its edge; a flange is underneath the lid. The corkscrew thumbpiece descends to a five-part hinge with flanking meander lines on the hingeplate. The cast and seamed scroll handle with attenuated rattail drop at its upper joining has an additional tightly rolled scroll above the cherub terminal and an oval air vent below.
On bottom in script: "The gift of her honoured / Grandmother Eliz : Corwin. / to Mary Gibbs." A crudely incised letter "H" appears on base near molding.
Marked twice, "EW" in roman capitals within a rectangle, on lid in front of thumbpiece, and to left of handle.
The tankard was acquired by Elizabeth (Sheafe Gibbs) (1644 – 1718), m. second, about 1675/76, Jonathan Corwin (Curwin, Curwen) of Salem, Justice of the Superior Court of Judicature, Province of Massachusetts Bay. It was made a gift to her granddaughter Mary Gibbs (1699 – 1761), m. the Rev. John Cotton (1693 – 1757) in 1719.6 The tankard passed to their daughter Elizabeth Cotton (1722 – 1782) and Jonathan Hastings (1708/9 – 1783), m. 1750. The initial “H” was probably engraved for him or one of his descendants; to their son John Hastings (1754 – 1839) and Lydia Dana (1755 – 1808), m. 1783; to their son Edmund Trowbridge Hastings (1789 – 1861) and Elizabeth Spring, m. 1815; to their daughter Harriet Elizabeth Hastings (1818 – 1887) and John Bryant Hatch (1817 – 1890), m. 1841; to their son George Stanley Hatch (1855 – 1931), Mary Kidder Whiting (b. 1861), m. 1891; to their son Francis Whiting Hatch (1897 – 1975), and Katherine Marjory Kennard, m. 1922; to their son Francis Whiting Hatch Jr. (b. 1925), the donor.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Francis W. Hatch