The raised tankard with straight tapering sides has a center point on base. The drawn and stepped base molding rises to an applied everted rim; a pair of scored lines appears below the lip. The raised, two-stepped, flat-topped lid also has a center punch; two pairs of scored lines encircle the...
The raised tankard with straight tapering sides has a center point on base. The drawn and stepped base molding rises to an applied everted rim; a pair of scored lines appears below the lip. The raised, two-stepped, flat-topped lid also has a center punch; two pairs of scored lines encircle the rim, and there is a crenate lip. The cast thumbpiece consists of a pair of dolphins flanking a circular mask of a mustachioed man; meander wire is below. The five-part hinge has a cast linen-fold hingeplate, again with meander wire below. The raised and seamed scroll handle is attached to the body with a long rattail drop at upper join. The terminus is a cast winged cherub’s head; a coarse triangular air vent is below. The lid and stepped section near hinge have been reworked. The handle bears significant wear marks consistent with contact to thumbpiece.
Engraved "P / T M " in shaded roman capitals on handle.
On lid and to left of handle is marked "EW" within a shaped mark over a fleur-de-lis.
According to family history and the engraved initials, the tankard was made for Thomas Paine (1612 – 1706) of Yarmouth and Eastham, Massachusetts, who in 1650 m. Mary Snow (1627 – 1704), daughter of Nicholas (1602 – 1676) and Constance (Hopkins) Snow (about 1605 – 1677) of Eastham. However, it is more likely the tankard was first owned by their son James (1665 – 1728) and his wife, Bethiah Thacher (1671 – 1734). The tankard passed by descent to their son the Rev. Thomas Paine (1694 – 1757) and Eunice Treat (1704 – 1747), thence to Thomas’s son Robert Treat Paine (1731 – 1814), a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his wife, Sarah (Sally) Cobb (1740 – 1816). The tankard briefly entered the matrilineal line when it was given to Paine’s eldest daughter, Mary (1780 – 1842), m. the Rev. Elisha Clap (also Clapp) (1783 – 1869). As the couple had no issue, the tankard returned to the patrilineal line when it was inherited by their nephew Charles Cushing Paine (1808 – 1874) and his wife, Fanny Cabot Jackson (1812 – 1878). The tankard was given to their son Charles Jackson Paine (1833 – 1916) and his wife, Julia Lee Bryant (1847 – 1901), and thence to their son John Bryant Paine (1870 – 1951). The tankard was made a gift in honor of John Bryant Paine and his wife, Louise Rue Frazer (1879 – 1968), by their children and grandchildren: Helen Sumner Paine Dickson; Caroline Satterthwait Paine Ganson; Julia Lee Paine Wakefield; her children Elizabeth W. Doermann, Julia W. Proctor, Joan W. Millspaugh, and Sarah K. Wakefield; Louise Frazer Paine Erickson; Sarah Cushing Paine Forbes; Henrietta N. Paine.
Gift in memory of John Bryant Paine and Louise Frazer Paine from their children and grandchildren