The raised tankard has tapering sides and is covered with a flat lid having a serrated lip and an applied, drawn, molded base. A tall, scrolled thumbpiece is soldered to the lid and descends to a five-part hinge and flattened baluster drop on a seamed double-scroll handle terminating in a...
The raised tankard has tapering sides and is covered with a flat lid having a serrated lip and an applied, drawn, molded base. A tall, scrolled thumbpiece is soldered to the lid and descends to a five-part hinge and flattened baluster drop on a seamed double-scroll handle terminating in a scroll. An added spout was removed at an unknown date.
On handle, "P * M" is engraved in shaded roman letters. On body of tankard, to right of handle, the Greene/Charnock arms are engraved in a scrolled, foliate cartouche, with the Latin text "VINCET QUI PATITUR" [He who suffers, conquers /or/ He who conquers, suffers] appearing below. A later dedicatory text in script reads "Louisa Bronson Hunnewell / from her / Great Great Aunt / Louisa Troup / March 1882."
"IBV" is stamped in an ellipse to left and right of handle, below rim. Ada Mark X
The tankard’s history is complicated. It appears that the Greene family of Rhode Island were early owners and accounted for half the vessel’s heraldic arms. The first owner was likely Gen. Nathaniel Greene (1742–1786) of Newport and Katharine Littlefield (1755–1814) of New Shoreham, Block Island, Rhode Island, m. 1774. War-related debts forced Greene to sell most of his Newport property, and about 1785, a year before his death, the family relocated to Mulberry Grove, Cumberland Island, Georgia. The later initials “P*M” coarsely engraved on the handle may be those of Phineas Miller (1764–1803) of Middletown, Connecticut. The son of Isaac and Hannah (Coe) Miller, he briefly attended Yale College and later became a tutor to the Greenes’ children. Miller remained with the family as manager and married Greene’s widow in 1796. The tankard passed to Martha Washington Greene (b. 1777), daughter of Nathaniel and Katherine Greene and wife of John Corlis Nightingale (b. 1771), m. 1795; to their son Phineas Miller Nightingale (b. 1803) and his wife, Mary King (about 1810–1894), m. 1836; to their daughter Mary Ray Nightingale and Robert Troupe (d. 1874), m. 1866. Subsequent history in the Troupe family is unclear, but the tankard was apparently transferred cross-generationally to Louisa Troup (b. 1791), the unmarried daughter of Lt. Col. Robert Troupe (1757–1832) and Janet (Jennet) Goulet (b. 1758). It is Louisa Troup’s inscription, which includes the incorrect phrase “great-great aunt,” that appears on the tankard to her grand-niece Louisa Bronson (1843–1890) of New York. Louisa Bronson was the granddaughter of Louisa Troup’s sister Charlotte Troup (b. 1792), who m. James Lefferts Brinkerhoff (b. 1791) in 1815. Louisa Bronson was the daughter of Charlotte Brinkerhoff (1818–1861) and Frederick Bronson (1802–1868), m. 1838. Louisa Bronson m. Hollis Horatio Hunnewell (1836?–?1884) of Wellesley, Massachusetts, in 1867; the tankard descended to their son Hollis Horatio Hunnewell Jr. (1868?–?1922) and his wife, Maude Somerville Jaffray (b. 1871); thence to their daughter Louisa Bronson Hunnewell, who m. diplomat Franklin-Mott Gunther (1885–1941) in 1918. To her cousin Charlotte Winthrop Cram (b. 1893), daughter of Charlotte Troup Bronson Winthrop (1865–1893) and Henry Spencer Cram (1852/3–95). Charlotte Winthrop Cram m. Robert Ludlow Fowler Jr. in 1914. To their daughter Angela Fowler (1915–1989), the donor, and her husband, Craig Wylie (1908–1976), of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Gift of Mrs. Craig Wylie