User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.

Tankard

Start collecting

The raised straight-sided tankard is slightly wider at base and has a drawn stepped base molding and a single midband in the lower third. A domed stepped lid has downturned lip with scored edge and a flange within. The small button finial is seated upon a swelled center with evidence of solder,...

Show Full Description

Inscription

Engraved opposite the handle, within a circle embellished with modest foliate decoration is engraved in script "The Gift of / Mr. John Staples / TO THE / Church of Christ / in / Newtown May 28th / 1727". Scratch weight of "24 13" found on bottom.

Marks

To left of handle and on base at center is stamped "WC" in a shield having a star above flanked by two pellets and one pellet below. On lid between finial and thumbpiece is stamped "W. Cowell" in script within a shaped rectangle.

Provenance

Yeoman John Staples (d. 1740) was the sponsor for the Cowell tankard, which he gave in 1727. Staples’s continued support of the church is recorded in his will, dated April 24, 1740, and proved January 5, 1740 – 41. He bequeathed “seventeen acres of land available towards the support of ye Ministerial use from year to year annually for so long as it shall be continued for a woodlot & I do desire & empower the Selectman of sd town to appoint what Trees shall be cut down annually so as that no strip or waste shall be made of wood or timber for any other use whatsoever save only for the ministers use.” 1973, gift of the First Church of Newton, Mass. to the MFA.

Credit Line

Gift of the First Church in Newton

1727

Object Place

Boston, Massachusetts

Dimensions

19.7 x 18.1 cm (7 3/4 x 7 1/8 in.)

Accession Number

1973.17

Medium or Technique

Silver

Collections

Americas

Classifications

Silver hollowware