The tongs are of bow form, with cast reticulated arms embellished with a double row of serpentine piercing, shell-shaped hollow grips, and a chased border on the shoulders and bow.
"M.W." in script engraved on inside of bow; "E C" on outside of bow.
"S x Drowne" in a rectangle with shaped ends struck on inside of bow at joint with arm
Made for Eleanor Clark (1765 – 1830), m. Edmund Wingate in 1788. Descended in the family to one of their daughters, probably (based on the initials) Mary Ann (b. 1789) or Maria (b. 1795). Acquired at an unknown date by Mrs. Kathryn C. Buhler, Boston, and given to the Museum in 1984.
Gift of Kathryn C. Buhler