User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.

Shumway House parlor

Start collecting

Three-walled alcove consisting of paneled west wall housing central fireplace flanked by paneled door to left and cupboard to right, with built-in drawers above the fireplace; north wall with original dado paneling and door; east wall with modern reproduction dado. Brick hearth and painted pine...

Show Full Description

Provenance

This woodwork is from the southeast parlor of a dwelling known as the Shumway House, erected about 1740 on the Post Road about two miles south of the town of Fiskedale, Massachusetts. The house was occupied by descendants of the original owners until 1916. The paneling from two walls, all that remained of the original fabric of the house, was removed from the house in 1925. It was purchased by the MFA in December 1925 from the New York dealer Charles Woolsey Lyon, Inc. for $4,000. The room was opened to the public in the Museum's East Wing in October 1928, then closed for Museum renovations in 2002.

Credit Line

Helen and Alice Colburn Fund

about 1740

Object Place

Fiskdale, Massachusetts, United States

Dimensions

Length 15 feet, 3 inches; width 13 feet, 10 inches; height 7 feet, 10 inches

Accession Number

25.620

Medium or Technique

Pitch-pine; apparently never painted

Collections

Americas

Classifications

Architectural elements