This raised elliptical vessel has double-pad feet and knees, a scalloped rim, and a broad curving spout. The cast broken-scroll handle with foliate thumbgrip is soldered to rim at upper section and affixed to oval disk at lower terminal.
Engraved with the later initial "W" in script above mark on base. Engraved on side to left of handle with Barrett arms (ermine on a fess three lions rampant, with crest, a lion couchant).
Marked "Henchman" within a rectangle on bottom near center point.
The donor’s family history and the Barrett family arms indicate that Samuel Barrett (1738 – 1798) and his second wife, Elizabeth Salisbury (1744 – 1796) of Boston, m. 1771, were likely the first owners. Probable descent suggests that the silver passed to Elizabeth’s brother Samuel Salisbury (1739 – 1818) and his first wife, Elizabeth Sewall (1740 – 1789), m. 1768; by descent to their son Samuel Salisbury (1769 – 1849) and Nancy Gardner (1786 – 1865), m. 1806; to their son Dr. Stephen Salisbury (1812 – 1875) and Elizabeth Parker Clark (b. 1824), m. 1844; to their daughter Elizabeth Parker Clark Salisbury (b. 1849) and Desmond FitzGerald (1846 – 1926), Museum trustee and civil engineer, m. 1870; to their daughter Harriot FitzGerald (b. 1872) and Robert Jones Clark, m. 1897. The sauceboat was inherited by their daughter Geraldine Clark (b. 1902), the donor, and her second husband, Vice Admiral John Sylvester (1904 – 1990). The initial “W” engraved at a later date remains unexplained.
Gift of Mrs. John Sylvester in memory of her grandfather, Desmond FitzGerald, and her mother Harriot F. Clark