The circular scalloped salver has a cast rim featuring conjoined curves and scrolls. Twelve points on the rim are marked by alternating small and large fluted-shell decoration. A conforming molded edge appears on the underside. The salver is supported by three cast cabriole legs with pad feet.
The Greene family arms appear at the center of salver. The arms depict azure three stags trippant within a rocaille shell, flanked by sheaves of wheat. The crest of a stag's head surmounts arms. Script engraving and scratch weight on underside of salver reads "The pair at 14 oz 16 dw 12 gr."
A small touchmark "HURD" in roman capitals within a rectangle appears on the salver below the engraving and near the rim. Ada Mark * F4765
The original owner was probably William Greene (1695 – 1758), governor of the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations from 1743 to 1758, and his wife, Catharine Greene (1698 – 1777), a second cousin, m. 1719. By descent to their son William Greene (1731 – 1809), governor of Rhode Island 1778 – 1785, and his wife, Catharine Ray (1731 – 1794), m. 1758. By descent through their daughter Phebe Greene (1760 – 1828) and her husband and first cousin, Samuel Ward (1756 – 1832), Lieut. Col. in the Continental Army, m. 1778. Ward was named for his father, Samuel Ward (1725 – 1776), who was governor of Rhode Island in 1762 and 1765 – 68; the elder Ward was also a delegate to the Continental Congress from 1774 to 1776. Probable descent through their son William Greene Ward (1802 – 1848) and Abby Maria Hall (1802 – 1887) of New York City, m. 1830; to their son Charles Henry Ward (1833 – 1905) and Mary Montagu Parmely (1830 – 1913), m. 1857; to their son Henry Merion Ward (1870 – 1949) and Lucy Bond Morgan of Washington, D.C., to their son Samuel Bond Ward (1905 – 1982) of La Plata, Maryland, and acquired by the Museum.
Marion E. Davis Fund