The raised vessel has a stepped and domed base rising to convex sides and everted rim. A center point is evident in center and underside of bowl. The keyhole-style handle is soldered at right angles to the rim.
On handle facing bowl, the monogram "M S" is engraved in entwined script. Scratch weight of "9-. oz- 9" engraved on base; in a large modern hand "8 = 14" appears to the right of "K J [J?] / $15.00."
"P [pellet] REVERE" within a rectangle marked in center of bowl and faintly on back of handle.
Early history unknown. The porringer was loaned to the Museum in 1916 by Denman Waldo Ross (1853-1935), former trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and son of Frances Walker Waldo (1825-1884) and John Ludlow Ross (b. 1813), m. 1848. Ross transferred ownership of the porringer in 1930 to Gretchen Howes Waldo (1884-1976) (later Mrs. Thomas Mott Shaw) of Concord, Massachusetts, whose husband, Charles Sidney Waldo, Jr. (1883-1964) was Ross's first cousin once removed. In 1952 she transferred ownership to her son, the donor, Peter Waldo (b. 1917) of Carmel, New York.
Gift of Peter Waldo