The pitcher has an extended slender curved neck with ornamented flutes forming raised panels. The neck extends downward to a bulbous lower body that sits on a molded splayed ring. The rim is scrolled with a wide triangular lip; high crooked handle with an incised floral design and acanthus grip.
"Dr. Charles Mifflin from / GGH / 1856" engraved on side.
“JONES. SHREVE. BROWN & CO. [incuse] / PURE COIN / BOSTON,” the latter two within rectangles, all in roman letters, struck on bottom.
Presented to Dr. Charles Mifflin (1805 – 1875) by Gardiner Greene Hammond (b. 1832), m. Elizabeth Crowninshield in 1856 in Watertown, Massachusetts. The pitcher descended to Gardiner Greene Hammond Jr. (b. 1859), who gave it to his daughter Frances Hammond, the donor, and her husband, MacKinley Helm.
Gift of Mrs. MacKinley Helm, in memory of her father, Gardiner Greene Hammond Jr.