The three-part demonstration piece has a flat-chased strapwork design, a shield with a grotesque mask in bas-relief, and a chased and repousséd bouquet with a tulip, a lily, and a chrysanthemum. The corners of the plaque have been clipped, and pitch is retained in the recesses on the reverse.
“A J STONE” scratched on front; “AJS/1868” scratched on reverse.
Arthur and Elizabeth Bent Stone estate to their companion Annie E. Priest (1872 – 1972); by descent to Alma Bent (about 1921 – 1992), Stone’s cousin, who donated it to the Museum.
Gift of Miss Alma Bent in memory of Annie E. Priest