Handwritten note in ink on back of top wide drawer in lower case: "High Daddy From the Tufts Weymouth, Mass / date probably not later than 1720. May have belonged / to Quincy family into which old Dr. Cotton Tufts married / She was Aunt to Mrs. John Adams. (President)." Pencil inscription in same location: "Brattleboro, Vt.: On interior of lower case, note in ink: "Mr Frank Goodhue / Brooks House / Brattleboro Vermont." Inscribed on back of bottom right drawer: "CP405635483" and 1 within a triangle.
A paper label affixed to the high chest indicates that it was owned by Dr. Cotton Tufts (1732-1815) of Weymouth, Massachusetts; given the age of the object, it might have been owned by his father, Dr. Simon Tufts of Medford, Massachusetts; in February1985, inherited by Joseph R. Coolidge IV from his mother, Anna Lyman Coolidge; in March 1985, lent to the Museum by Joseph R. Coolidge IV; 1988, gift of Joseph R. Coolidge IV, Center Sandwich, New Hampshire (Accession Date April 27, 1988)
Gift of Joseph Randolph Coolidge IV