Gold disk embossed with two birds with up-raised heads and arranged in mirror image. A panache of feathers, which also recall deer antlers, adorn the top of their heads. Two small perforations near the center of the disk allow for attachment to clothing or suspension as a body adornment.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay