Hollow gold earflare with central shaft protruding from front and rear of the hollow circular flared area. Punctate circles on front disk and chevron design around the outer edge. A yellow-ochre matrix (mud-like) is found inside the earflare's rear shaft. One of a pair (see 1971.957).
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay