The body is raised with straight sides curving inward to a molded ring foot. Heavy molding strengthens the upper rim. Chased and engraved foliate ornament surrounds the inscription.
Engraved "Mrs N. Ward / Roxbury. / 1854" in script and centered on the front within a reserve framed by chased foliate scrolls.
Incised "N. HARDING & CO." in uppercase Roman letters on the bottom. Ada Mark * F4440
Mrs. N. Ward was born Ruth Stetson Gurney (1814 – 1863) in Saco, Maine; m. Nahum Ward (1801 – 1858) in 1845 after his first wife, her sister, had died two years earlier. The cup descended from Ruth Ward to her daughter Susan Nahum Ward (b. 1845) and Lyman Jabez Clark (1835 – 1918), m. 1866; to their children Mabel Gurney Clark (b. 1870) and Francis Lyman Clark (b. 1877), the donors.
Gift of Mabel Gurney Clark and F. Lyman Clark in memory of their mother, Susan Ward Clark