The urn-shaped piece is seamed, elliptical in section, and footed. An angular hollow handle has a square shoulder, ivory insulating ring and cast ram’s-head thumbpiece. The large creampot has an integral spout, with applied beaded decoration along the rim, and a weighted foot.
"L" on one side, "M.G.L. / 1867 (script) / T.P.L. - T.W.L. / 1928"
“SHREVE, STANWOOD & CO” incuse, “BOSTON” within a rectangle, and “STERLING” incuse. The numbers "75279" are scratched into the bottom.
Harrison Loring (1822 – 1907) and Margaret Gardner (1838 – 1920), m. 1867; to their son Harrison Loring Jr. (b. 1868) and Clara Melville, m. 1892; to Theodore Plimpton Loring and Thelma Woodson, m. 1928; to their daughter Priscilla L. Waite, the donor.
Gift of Priscilla L. Waite