Large covered goblet or pokal of blown, non-lead glass of gray tint; the bowl of deep ogee shape having two rows of air beads in its solid base; inverted baluster stem; high domed foot; pontil mark. The inset cover has a trailed ring to rest on bowl rim, and a wide baluster finial with tear.
Believed to have been made for the Evangelical Reformed and Lutheran congregation of Bender's Church, Biglerville, Pennsylvania, founded ca, 1781 about forty miles north of New Bremen; to a private individual about 1926-27 when that union congregation was dissolved; in a private Pittsburgh collection by 1991; purchased by the Museum from W.M. Schwind, Jr., Antiques, Yarmouth, Maine, in 1994.
Museum purchase with funds donated by The Seminarians and Mr. and Mrs. Daniel F. Morley
- Attributed to New Bremen Glassmanufactory of John Frederick Amelung, Glassmanufactory, active 1784–1795; Amelung, American, born in Germany, 1741–1798