The cup has a raised bulb-shaped body with an applied rounded molding on the everted lip. The cup sits on a stamped footring; a hollow scrolled handle curves above the rim.
"Dorcas Fay to William Henry Fay" engraved in script on the front.
"Jones, Lows & Ball / Boston" in rectangles on the bottom. Ada Mark F4743
The cup was probably given to young William Henry Fay (b.November 23, 1835), son of Willam C. Fay (1811-1889) by his grandmother Dorcas (Clark) (1785-1861), wife of Windsor Fay (1780-1844), a prominent Boston ship owner and merchant. The boy's father, William C. Fay is listed as a distiller in the city directory. The cup apparently descended to Annie Bolton Matthews Bryant through her mother, Annie Bolton (Fay) Bryant. The donor, a noted Boston sculptor in stone and bronze, was known socially and professionally as Nanna Matthews Bryant. She lived at 94 Beacon Street in Boston and summered at her estate "Angelside" in Waltham. Bryant's c.1920 marble "Head of a Woman" is in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts (Julia Henrietta Copeland Fund 21.2277).
Bequest of Annie Bolton Matthews Bryant