The seamed cylindrical body with heavily repouseé-chased landscape decoration above a plain s-shaped band sits on a narrow ring base. A hollow s-curved handle is attached at the upper rim and lower body of the cup. The lower edge of the cup shows the dents and wear of normal use.
On the front of the cup within a reserve in script " From / M.S. Pyles, / to / M.G. Strean."
“BAILEY & CO / CHESTNUT ST PHILA” retailer’s mark, in the shape of enclosing ellipses, struck incuse on base of cup; “136” struck in center. Below is a lion passant, struck twice, each within a shaped reserve. Beneath these touchmarks appear the lion passant within a shaped reserve; “S” within an oval; and a shield. Ada Mark * F4436
The cup descended through the Strean/Greenleaf family of Cambridge, Massachusetts to the donor.
Gift of Mrs. H. S. Geery
Philadelphia, about 1855–1867