The raised oviform vessel is soldered to a splayed foot, which in turn is supported by a squared plinth. Beaded decoration separates the shoulder of the vessel from its incurved neck; a domed pierced shaker is surmounted by a twisted flame finial pinned in place.
"WHS / 1787." entwined script initials engraved within an oval on one sie, with ribbon-hung garland above and crossed sprays below. "TCS / to / WVS / 1877" in script engraved on opposite side
Originally owned by William and Hannah (Carter) Smith; see also cat. no. 172. Descended to their son Thomas Carter Smith in 1831; to his son William Vincent Smith in 1877; he m. Alice Parkman in 1878 (and changed his name to William Smith Carter in 1880); to his son Theodore P. Carter. Purchased from the latter by noted collector Mark Bortman and placed on loan to the Museum from 1948 to 1966. By descent to his daughter Jane Bortman Larus. Purchased from William Core Duffy, New Haven, Connecticut, in 1983.
Frank B. Remis Fund