User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.


Start collecting

The raised pear-shaped caster with a center punch has a raised bowl-shaped lower section, to which a cast and molded circular foot has been soldered. An applied midband conceals the joint with the upper body, which has a seamed concave form that tapers inward to form a cylinder; applied molding...

Show Full Description


Engraved "LB [conjoined] / L [pellet] L" below midband of vessel.


Indistinctly marked "HO. . . " below rim of vessel, opposite seam.


According to the donor, the caster was originally owned by Gov. William Bradford (1589 – 1657), but the engraved initials suggest that a more likely owner was Bradford’s great-granddaughter Lydia Bradford (1719 – 1756). In 1743 she became the second wife of Dr. Lazarus LeBaron (1698 – 1773) of Plymouth, Massachusetts, the son of Francis LeBaron, first doctor of the Plymouth Colony. The caster passed to their daughter Elizabeth (1745 – 1829) and Ammi Ruhami Robbins (1740 – 1813), m. 1762. Due to family history claiming descent through the eldest daughter, the caster probably passed to their daughter Elizabeth Robbins (1770 – 1815) and Grove Lawrence (b. 1766), m. 1789; to their daughter Eliza Lawrence (1793 – 1850) and Timothy J. Gridley (b. 1788); to their daughter Sarah Battell Gridley (b. 1825) and Charles E. Delano (1820 – 1883), m. 1848. The caster was transferred to her third cousin, the Rev. Howard Chandler Robbins, M.D. (1876 – 1952), and Mary Louise Bayles (1879 – 1965), m. 1907, and thence to their niece, the donor.

Credit Line

Gift of Mrs. Robert E. Montgomery


Object Place

Boston, Massachusetts


12.7 x 5.6 cm (5 x 2 3/16 in.)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique





Silver hollowware